Travel Tips for Traveling in Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand Travel tips for travelers
Travel tips for travelers to Uttarakhand would actually introduce a tourist or traveler to all the things he or she could expect in the state of Uttarakhand and what all the natives of Uttarakhand could expect of the traveler.
If you are looking for an exhaustive set of travel tips for your Uttarakhand trip.
Best Time to Visit Uttarakhand:
Summer months witness a surge in tourism in Uttarakhand since the temperatures here are extremely pleasant and comfortable for sightseeing and outdoor activities like camping, trekking and hiking activities. These months lasts from April to August when the temperature ranges between 20 to 35 degree Celsius.
If you want to get a taste of the Himalayan winter chill then visiting Uttarakhand during the months of September to February when the temperature stays between 3 to 10 degrees Celsius and in some cases some of these regions also experience snowfall. A lot of these regions are made inaccessible due to a thick blanket of snow that falls over these regions.
Must Visit Places in Uttarakhand:
Auli – Popular for being top tourist destinations Auli is a great option for spending your winter vacations and New Year. Swoop down the snow covered slopes of the Himalayas and explore this magnificent undulating hill that is dotted with glistening apple orchards, pine and oak trees. This hill resort is located at an elevation of 2,800 metres above sea level and one can savor some of the most stunning views of the surrounding Nanda Devi and Mt. Kamet.
Almora – Nestled among the wilderness of the magnificent and wonderful looking Himalayan ranges this horseshoe like hill destination is filled with glorious representations of the bygone British past. It boasts of a 180 panoramic view of the Himalayas and a massive collection of flora and fauna.
Valley of Flowers – A magnificent and well preserved UNESCO world heritage site, this valley dotted with numerous colorful flowers and plants was discovered in the year 1931 by Frank Smythe. Surrounded by the glorious and overlooking snowcapped peaks which only adds to its beauty this valley of flowers should definitely be on everyone’s bucket list.
Kanatal – A must visit option for people looking to attain some peace, serenity and peace of mind. Located in close proximity to the hill destination of Dehradun. This place is named after a lake which is now dried up and is also filled with numerous fruit-bearing trees and incredible lush greenery.
Sattal – As the name suggests this place is named after a group of seven freshwater lakes that are located in this region. It truly is a Pandora box for nature lovers and bird watchers. The place experiences pleasant weather conditions throughout the year making it a tourist hub for everyone.
The state of Uttarakhand has a never ending sky with high and lofty mountains beckon you to come to their territory just once. But to actually enjoy yourself there you need to be prepared and to help you with this preparation, we are jotting some travel tips to make things easier.
- Try to know about a place beforehand so that you appear confident. This confidence will help you to bargain and nobody would try to cheat you.
- The people of Uttarakhand are extremely warm and friendly. They are always eager to help anybody who is in trouble. Ask anyone if you have lost directions or landmarks.
- Avoid provocative or revealing clothing, especially at religious places. It might attract the wrong type of men to you and offend cultural sensibilities.
- Carry a map, a compass, cash (in lower denominations of Rs 10, 20, 50 & 100), your travel papers like a copy of your passport, visa, health checks etc on person.
- While paying somebody do not take out the entire wad of cash you have. There are chances of getting it pick pocketed.
- Do not accept anything from a stranger, even if he / she say it is ready made or packeted. The food can be laced with drugs and the people might rob you.
- Do not eat raw cut foods like salads in hotels since it could be contaminated. The contamination can lead to dysentery or worse, even food poisoning. Eat only full fruits bought from a vendor, if you wish.
- If your passport / visa are stolen / lost then immediately inform the local consulate since your documents may be forged or misused.
- Most towns have means of competent local transportation such as taxis, auto rickshaws, cycle rickshaws, and buses. Private cabs can also be hired at pre-discussed rates / destinations.
- When shopping, first take a look around the market asking the prices. After the first tour you will have an idea of the average value of an article. Go the shop with the lowest price and bargain. Bargaining is the norm in India and one needs to polite and patient but assertive.
- If you want to click photos of localites then first take their permission, especially women.
- Public display of affection is frowned upon and it is appreciable if one maintains distance from the opposite sex at places like a temple or Gurudwara.
- The norm for tipping is usually 10% of the bill but in Dhabas (roadside motels) you need not pay tips. The tipping can also depend upon whether you liked the place or not.
- Most people in Uttarakhand speak Hindi, tourist guides and city people can speak English but Garhwali and Pahari is prevalent in small towns and remote areas.